Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 4

And what a day it was! We didnt get into the round pen on Wednesday, we had only been in it once, so that was a definite priority. When I first brought her out I took her to her stall for some basic grooming. She stood really well in her stall! Typically when I first bring her out and tie her in her stall to groom she is antsy and moves around, but yesterday she was awesome. After brushing her and putting her splint boots on to go into the round pen we went to finish out clip from Wednesday while we were waiting for a round pen. She was super good and I can ask her to lower her head and she does. She is now the proud wearer of a bridle-path and clipped whiskers! She looks so good!

I then got her blanket. We are not sure if she has ever worn one before so I had to get to used to it. They also said that all the horses need to lower their heads and allow people to put the blankets over their heads. Although she isnt scared to death of it she is unsure of it. By the end of today she would lower her head for me to put it on and take it off.

We also worked on our basic showmanship, like we do every other day. She is getting much better on her haunch and forehand turns but they are still hard for her. She also trots in hand without any reinforcements  now! All of our 'lessons' are so short because she picks up on it all so fast. She really wants to please.

In the round pen she was AWESOME! Only her second time in it and she went as if she has been doing it for months. She is pretty well solid on direction changes, stopping, change of speeds, etc. That was super cool to see. Jenny then helped me hobble her for the first time. I had never hobbled a horse before so that was cool to learn. She was good for the most part. She tried to get out of them in the very beginning (and stretched the hobbles out big time!) but after that she stood in them. Not to bad for her first time! After that we called it quits for the day. I took her back to her stall, groomed her, braided the rest of her mane, and turned her out so I could clean her stall. She has not been great to catch, not hard but she doesnt walk up to you and sometimes tries to walk away. So after I cleaned her stall I went out to catch her and she walked right up to me! I brought her back in and hosed her off for the first time. She was nervous when I got further back on her but over all was great. She gets the weekend off then Monday we start getting her used to tack and ground driving! 

I started braiding the bottom half to keep it on this side!
Coming to me from outside :)



No comments:

Post a Comment